This annoying social media habit will turn off your potential customers

Don't sell yourself in every Facebook post.

There are rules of etiquette in business, in personal relationships and with social media relationships. Social media takes time and should be approached like any other relationship. Get to know your audience, interact with them and give them something before you try to sell to them.

Trying to sell yourself in every Facebook post will turn off potential customers and reduce your chances of showing up in their News Feed. Facebook is based on interest, not intent. Your posts should add value to your online community. By connecting with your audience, your brand will become top of mind when they are ready to buy.

Finding, connecting and engaging with your fans is a lot like a relationship. It takes time to build trust and to earn the right to ask them for something. Take the time to share meaningful articles and posts, educate them on relevant topics related to your business, community or industry, motivate them, inspire them or challenge them to think. Being authentic with them will get you much farther than asking them to spend money on your products with every post. A good rule of thumb to follow is the 80/20 rule. 80% of your updates should be social, entertaining, educational, informative and useful while the remaining 20% can sell your brand or product. Just remember that with every “80%” post you are earning the right to ask for that sale.

Call or email us if you need help with your Social Media marketing on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn or Snapchat. We would love to help!